Skip to main content

The Most Important Question






How did I collect enough bonus points to go to Europe for 3 weeks?

People have asked me this question so many times and I can't explain every detail to every person every time. So I will try to answer it here for you all to see.

Preparation 


January 2016
 I opened up the Chase Freedom Card and Miel opened up the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card. This gave us 65,000 points, valued at $650.

April 2016
I opened up the Chase Sapphire Card and the Barclay Arrival Plus Card. Miel opened up Chase Freedom Unlimited. This placed us at 65,000 Chase points / 50,000 Barclay Points

July 2016
We both opened American Express Delta Platinum. 60,000 points each.

October 2016 
I Opened up American Express Everyday Card. 10,000 points 

January 2017 
We opened up the Chase Sapphire Reserve. It gave us 200,000 points 

February 2017 
I opened up Citi Thankyou Premier. 30,000 points ($300) 
March 2017
Miel Opened up Barclay Arrival Plus. 50,000 Points ($500)

April 2017
I opened up IHG Credit Card. 60,000 points ($450 towards hotel)

Total

330,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards Points (495,000 or $495 value towards travel/ Sapphire Reserve)
100,000 Barclay Points
130,000 American Express/ Delta Points
30,000 Citi Thankyou Points
60,000 IHG (Hotel Points)
+ 100,000 points from spending for the year. (This is possible only because of Chase Freedom Card with its 5% cash back)

Europe

Flight: Chase Points

Hotel: Barclay & IHG points

Food, Activities: Chase Points.

Car Rental: Chase Points

Purchasing Cellphone Gimbal: Citi Thankyou Premier Points

Money Spent: $0



Conclusion 


In total, it adds up to about $10,000 in value.
We didn't spend all of it in Europe.

Delta Points were used to pay for my Mother-in-law to visit her family in Korea.
I gave my mom around 160,000 Chase Points.

But yes, this is how we did it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't pay for your honeymoon

Vienna with My Wife :) Hello there, I'm Daniel and I am in love with travel. So far I have traveled to 25 different countries. But since I've enrolled in graduate school and started a family, I don't have the means to travel as I used to. We barely cover rent and tuition. Yet, even if I wasn't a student, I don't know if I would like the idea of spending my hard earned money over such a short period of time. The average salary in America is around $50,000. But a 2 weeks vacation for two people could cost anywhere from $4000 to $7000. That's 10- 15% of your yearly income. I can't justify spending 10-15% of my salary in 2 weeks. But just this last May, My wife and I travelled to Europe for 3 weeks! We visited 10 countries and made unforgettable memories. It was an amazing experience. According to many of the travel blogs, our trip should have cost anywhere from $6000 -$10,000. We spent $0. Honestly. No, we did not... Sleep in hostels Campou

5% off gas all year long up to $1500

http://www.grinningplanet.com/mp3-news/index.htm How much do you spend on gas per month? At $2.50 per gallon, if you drive 30 miles a day, your monthly cost of fuel will be around $72. You are looking at around $1000 on gas, per year. What if I told you, you could save 5% on gas every time you fill up up to $1500 year? Thats $50 that you could spend on other things, given that you spend $1000 a year on gas. You can. Let me show you how it works. It's Simple. Chase Freedom Card offers 5% back on rotating categories every year. From January to March of this year, the category was gas stations and other transportation related merchants. This means that you get 5% back on every purchase you make at gas stations up to $1500.  From January to March, every time you fill up the car, go into the gas station and purchase gas station gift card! It could be Shell, BP or whatever gas station that you might choose to stop at.  Then after the gas station category is

$3000 off your next vacation

So the summer is almost over and you are planning your next summer vacation. But with 2-3 kids it's not a very affordable idea. According to  Stuffed Suitcase , the expected cost for ONE WEEK'S vacation for a family of 4 is OVER $4300. Last May, my wife and I traveled throughout Europe for 3 weeks. How much did it COST us? $0. Seriously. It didn't cost us anything. You don't believe me, do you? Check out my other blog post to see just how we pulled it off.  Today, I want to show you how you could start working towards your FREE vacation! In order to make the most of this offer, You and your wife/husband need to do it together. There are so many blog posts and websites that explain all this in their minute details. In order to know what you are doing with the different cards, I suggest that you look into it yourself. But through it all, you need to have the big picture in mind. You need to know what you want to do so that you don't get distracted by ev